TOP STORIES

UN relief chief warns Sudan conflict could engulf region

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres (C, Front) speaks at the UN High-level Dialogue on Financing for Development during the 78th session of the UN General Assembly at the UN headquarters in New York, on Sept. 20, 2023. The UN chief on Wednesday urged global policymakers to unlock better financing and tackle the great finance divide, as progress on some of the Sustainable Development Goals has gone into reverse for the first time in decades. (Xinhua/Li Rui)

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) — The UN relief chief warned on Wednesday that allowing the conflict in Sudan to descend into a full-blown civil war could be a human tragedy.

“If urgent international action is not taken, the crisis threatens to deteriorate into a catastrophe that could engulf, will engulf, the entire country and then the region,” said UN undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs Martin Griffiths, the world body’s emergency relief coordinator.

He said a concerted international effort is required to get life-saving assistance. “It is needed now, it was needed yesterday, and it will be needed tomorrow.”

Griffiths spoke at a high-level meeting on Sudan on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly’s annual general debate.

The session was hosted by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the African Union, the European Union, the UN Refugee Agency and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

One of the biggest challenges during the fighting between two military factions in Sudan is gaining access to those in need.

“Our ability to operate is hampered by the highly dangerous and complex operating environment — perhaps the most so in the world today — as well as access restrictions and bureaucratic impediments,” he said.

Griffiths said the conflict has claimed the lives of more than 5,000 people, injured 12,000 more, displaced more than 5 million people, including more than 1 million of them forced into neighboring countries.

He also said there was a complete breakdown of the health system in Sudan, with almost 80 percent of health services not functioning and more than 6 million people facing emergency levels of acute food insecurity.

“And 1,000 — perhaps this is the worst of all these chilling statistics — 1,200 children dying from malnutrition and preventable diseases, such as measles,” the relief chief said. “And we heard in the Security Council last week, horrific and pervasive levels of sexual violence against women and girls.”

Speaking of the conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces, UN undersecretary-general for political affairs Rosemary DiCarlo said that neither warring party is close to victory, yet they continue their brutal fight, and civilians have paid a heavy price for “this senseless violence.”

She said they continue to violate international humanitarian and human rights law. Civilians and civilian infrastructure, including health facilities, places of worship, water and electricity installations, were targeted, damaged and destroyed.

“There have been shocking accounts of widespread rape and sexual violence,” DiCarlo said. “There must be accountability for these crimes, as well as medical and psychosocial support for survivors.”

OCHA, which Griffiths heads, said that since the conflict began in Sudan, the United Nations and partners reached 3.5 million people, representing only 19 percent of the 18 million people targeted for humanitarian assistance and protection.

The Humanitarian Response Plan for Sudan seeks 2.6 billion U.S. dollars but is only 31 percent funded.

Xinhua

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

People inspect damage caused by an Israeli bombardment in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip [Said Khatib/AFP]
International News

South Africa urges ICJ to consider action on Israel’s planned Rafah assault

World Court asked to order additional emergency measures ahead of an assault on Gaza city crammed with displaced people. South Africa says it has asked the World Court to consider whether Israel’s plan to extend its offensive in the Gaza Strip into the densely populated southern city of Rafah requires additional emergency measures to protect […]

Read More
International News

Coal miner building SA’s biggest wind farm

Coal producer Seriti Resources has started building South Africa’s largest wind farm, as the country’s mining industry seeks to cut its reliance on troubled state-owned power utility Eskom. South Africa plans to transition to cleaner-energy sources from the most polluting fossil fuel, but faces the additional challenge of cushioning the blow to communities dependent on […]

Read More
People gather around a destroyed house after an Israeli airstrike in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah, on Feb. 5, 2024. The death toll of Palestinians killed from Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip has risen to 27,478, the Hamas-run Health Ministry said on Monday. (Photo by Khaled Omar/Xinhua)
International News

Death toll of Palestinians in Gaza rises to 27,478: ministry

GAZA, Feb. 5 (Xinhua) — The death toll of Palestinians killed from Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip has risen to 27,478, the Hamas-run Health Ministry said on Monday. During the past 24 hours, at least 113 Palestinians were killed by Israeli attacks in various places in the Gaza Strip, raising the total number of […]

Read More