The French government decided to shut down internet service in certain areas amid riots turned violent to prevent the spread of false information.
Police officials quoting France Interior Ministry said the ban on social media is to secure the life and property of the citizens.
The French Police said landline and mobile service will be restored.
Rioting across France was less intense overnight, the interior ministry said on Sunday, as tens of thousands of police were deployed following the funeral of a teenager of North African descent whose shooting by police has sparked nationwide unrest.
The government poured 45,000 police onto the streets to try to keep a lid on a fifth night of unrest after Saturday’s funeral of Nahel, a 17-year-old with Algerian and Moroccan parents, who was shot during a traffic stop on Tuesday in the Paris suburb of Nanterre.
Since then rioters have torched cars and looted stores, but also targeted town halls, police stations and schools – buildings that represent the French state.
President Emmanuel Macron postponed a state visit to Germany that was due to have begun on Sunday to handle the worst crisis for his leadership since the “Yellow Vest” protests paralysed much of France in late 2018.
He was due to meet his ministers on Sunday evening to review the situation, the presidency said, after the prime minister said on Friday the government’s “crisis unit” had been activated until further notice. – SAMAA